I had the pleasure of attending the Budget Travel: Writing on the Road panel at The New School Center for Communications yesterday. The panelist were leading industry experts, Pauline Frommer of The Frommer’s Guide, James Sherman of Sherman’s Travel, and Val D’Elia of NY1’s Travel with Val. I found their answers to be honest and inspiring especially seeing two women on the panel. Being a woman in media I find myself swatting away the question about kids and marriage like flies on food. I caught my breath listening toPauline admitting that she’s not that type of cuddly mom and giving much deserved respect to her very nuturing husband and also Val talking about the one woman show she is when she’s on location. For Val it’s just her, a tripod, her laptop and deadlines.
Guess who was that person all this summer during my Germany-France-Amsterdam- London trip? It was me. Without a doubt, fun during that day, nose to the grindstone at night face deep in the glow of my mac. Knowing that someone so established employs the same habits gave me the utmost hope that I’m going in the right direction.
Listen to the audio clip above for the answer to everyone’s burning question:
How do I get paid to travel write??
More tips from the panelists:
- Tailor each pitch. Be specific to the publication. Goto non-travel publications and pitch them travel stories that relate to their readers.
- Quirky always sells.
- Seek English language publications in foreign countries.
- Pauline Frommer: Hates checking bags and tries to carryon no matter what. Even on a family trip for 4 they bought 2 carryons and a diaper bag.
- James Sherman: One suitcase and one carryon because he HATES lugging things around an airport.
- Val D’Elia: She uses a Tumi split duffle bag that she attaches her tripod to, a Tumi backpack, and a hard camera case that she ALWAYS carries on.
Tips for offseason travel:
- Iceland in the winter due to the amount of darkness.
- China because they keep their dollar purposefully devalued so we get a better bang for our buck.
Me & Val D’Elia aka Travel with Val!